Choosing a Topic

A. Briefly describe the library research that you did towards choosing a topic. Include at least two reference books that you used and three library card catalog subject headings that you found useful.

To research my topic, I decided to go to the library in the History section and look at all of the books on Nazi Germany. While it might have been easier or faster to do a catalog search, I felt that by searching through the books on my own would yield more interesting finds than those gotten by typing in a simple key word on the internet. Although, to get started I did do a catalog search of “life in Nazi Germany”. Two resources I found were Inside Nazi Germany by Detlev J. K . Peukert (translated by Richard Deveson) and Eric Johnson’s What We Knew. The library had many other sources, however these were two that I looked at the most.Briefly describe the internet research that you did. What words did you google successfully? Name at least one useful website. Do not include web based library card catalogs in this section.

B. Briefly describe the internet research that you did. What words did you google successfully? Name at least one useful website. Do not include web based library card catalogs in this section.

On Google, I searched such key words as “the white rose” and “hans scholl”. One successful site was an article written by Jacob G. Hornberger titled “The White Rose: A Lesson in Dissent” which I found on the Jewish Virtual Library website.

C. You should talk to at least one member of this history department about your topic, or at least an expert in your field. Name that expert and briefly describe his/her comments.

D. You must have a primary source for this paper.  Provide any pertinent information on that primary source including website and/or call number.

One of my bigger primary sources is “What We Knew” by Eric A. Johnson. The book is a collection of interviews by German citizens both pro- and anti-nazi. These interviews questions multiple aspects of life in Nazi Germany both political and social. The book was found in the University of Mary Washington library, call number DD256.5 .J64. While the book does not contain information about the White Rose specifically, it does give interesting insight into life in Nazi Germany and how the social conditions of Nazi Germany may have led to the decision by the three youths to turn against the government and protest. My hope is that this source could help me analyze the reason that these “perfect” Germans turned against their government.

E. Are enough secondary sources available on this topic? Tell me a bit about what you found.

There are many secondary sources available. One that I will look into is a movie that was made about the incident called Sophie Scholl: The Final Days. Aside from this, there are multiple other secondary sources from highly credible websites. I should have no problem finding enough sources.

F. Finally, describe your conversations with me about your topic and how your topic has evolved as a result.

At first, my topic was simply going to be the difference between the general perceptions of life in Nazi Germany and the reality. However, in class it was suggested that I look into the student group that protested against the Nazis which led me to discover the White Rose. From there, I became incredibly interested in the history of this group which led me to my current topic.

Comments Off on Choosing a Topic

Filed under Uncategorized